Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat

Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat
Place Your Trust in Their HOT SEAT

Friday, August 23, 2013

VIN AND THE DORKY DUET by Maggie Lyons gets LADYBUGGED

Vin_and_the_Dork_518a3bf30dd09.jpg
VIN AND THE DORKY DUET by 



Maggie Lyons.

This book is listed as a middle grade adventure and it does read that way. However Maggie Lyons has a talent for weaving a tale aimed at young people that is just as entertaining for me, someone who is young inside but might not be able to pass for no matter how much baby lotion I slather on, on the outside.

Vin's sister has a crush on the older brother of one of Vin's classmates and she's not above using whatever methods she has to to talk her brother into somehow wheedling him into paving the way for her to get up close and personal with the older brother and his magical trumpet. 

I think I missed out on this kind of familial arm twisting because my brothers were spread farther apart age-wise from me than his siblings. The closest I came to this would have been with my youngest brother, 3 years my junior and his shadow our first cousin, three months his junior.

I found it fascinating to see how convoluted the game plan would get as Vin did everything to win the day because in the end his sister's ultimate bribe was a 

David Beckham Soccer Jersey. This proves I've been out of the classroom a LOOONNNG time. I never would have thought David Beckham was that big a draw.

Maggie has written a delightful tale that should have kids chuckling and enjoying the antics of Vin, his family, and the coterie of people he suddenly finds himself cozying up to thanks to his overly stimulated sister's designs.
Vin_and_the_Dork_518a3bf30dd09.jpg
VIN AND THE DORKY DUET

FIVE SOCCER BALLS for imagination, humor, playfulness, and a strong attention to youth detail.


Well, WELL Done, Maggie. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!


1 comment:

Susan Hornbach said...

Thanks for the great review!Sounds like a real sibling ordeal that kids will love.