Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat

Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat
Place Your Trust in Their HOT SEAT

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

ALL BECAUSE OF CHICKENS by G.L. Miller has landed in the Ladybug and Kitty Kat HOT SEAT REVIEWS


I was finally able to sleep in relative comfort last night...first time in almost two weeks, so while the spine is not screaming at me every three seconds, I finished reading G.L.'s 

Tween Fiction, ALL BECAUSE OF CHICKENS.

I'm going to begin this review, with the obvious...the title is clever and enticing. 

Well done on that.

This is a story that takes place in my old stomping grounds, around and about State College, PA. State College is the main home of Penn State University...a well known college around the world, because of its infamous football team and its equally infamous former coach Joe Paterno.

The events in this book, though can take place anywhere...for me they took place about four hours east of State College in between two small towns, 


WYCOMBE and PINEVILLE: not far from 

NEW HOPE, PA.

I no longer live there...unfortunately...and I miss it horribly...but this book for a heartbeat, 

brought me home.

Reading this book took me back to my own years on the farm and participating in the 

4-H club.

I rolled sod, I milked cows, I collected eggs (In this story the hens don't seem to mind having their oval treasures collected...on the farm I worked, they weren't quite so accommodating...hens have beaks and know how to use them.)

For those who do not know the first thing about farming, organic planting, cooperation that leads to deep and lasting friendships, G.L. gives us that and so much more.

She paints this story with the very rich pallet of her words and does it so well you can smell the various aromas in the air, hear the happy chirping and clucking if you turn your ear just a little-that way, and find yourself thoroughly engrossed in the journey Sammy has undertaken.

Surprisingly you find yourself cheering for Sam, his girls, and Mai Li, the girl he comes to share the day-to-day highs and lows of this ever changing landscape with.

There is mystery, 

jealousy, 

loyalty and 

growth.

I found myself wanting to reach into this world G.L. creates and pluck the stiff rigidity from the judges at the fair...and I smiled like a loon when the final act played out. 

When I was a teacher, I would have snatched this book up and built at least a month's worth of lesson plans in ALL subjects around it...making this a book my students would remember long after the last lesson was revealed and explored.

Therefore, to give this incredible book with it's entrancing title less than 

FIVE STARS would be a miscarriage of justice.

So G.L. for one of the best stories for our youth that I've read in a long time....ALL BECAUSE OF CHICKENS...has richly earned its 

FIVE STARS.

Well done you...oh and before I wrap this, may I add, I really

hope this is book ONE of a series?

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Wonderful review. Lin,you must've been a great teacher. What you talk about doing with this book is what my best teachers did with special books. I'll share. :)

Lin said...

Thanks Marsha. I loved teaching. I didn't go after it until I as a few weeks away from graduating with my NA in Psychology. I subbed for an amazing teacher. After that day I went and signed up for post grad work in Special Education, earning a Masters..but two days before I was to take over for that same teacher who'd been in a serious car accident during the summer, I was in a car accident...11 days after 9/11. It ended my teaching career.

glmiller said...

Thanks Marsha. I would love to have my books connected with the schools, or any organizations that promote learning (FFA, 4-H, Scouts). I also wanted to be a teacher. But I was 42 before I had the opportunity to sign up for college. It took me four years to get my AA featuring Education. I was working a full time job and my youngest child graduated High before I graduated Jr. College. Then I wondered: if it took me four more years to get the last two years, who would want to hire a 52 year old first time teacher? So I dropped the educational side. Now I hope I can encourage, enlighten, and lead through the printed word.