Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat

Ladybug Lin and Kitty Kat
Place Your Trust in Their HOT SEAT

Friday, July 4, 2014

THINGS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM by Anne Rothman-Hicks and Kenneth Hicks has landed in THE HOT SEAT REVIEWS



One of the things I most love about my job as a book reviewer is the anticipation I feel all the way down to my toes when I first call a book up to the viewing portion of my Kindle.

Sometimes I have extra layers of anticipation if the cover is a visual lure...or the title plucks at my funny bone, or sense of quirkiness. 

The title...?...well of course it teased and pleased my sense of humor BIG TIME!

The cover, done by Cover Artist Charlotte Volnek is rich and has your eyes happily moving around the many images Ms. Volnek gave us...

BUT there is so much more for me to stand on my tip-toes and with eager quivers tell you all why this is an exceptional book.

Written by Anne Rothman-Hicks and Kenneth Hicks, I could not believe the smiles that spread throughout me as I read it.

I grew up during a time Catholic students HAD to learn Latin so we could respond IN Latin during the mass. 


THINGS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM
This story of fantasy, magic, friendship, and adventure reminded me of that time...and the infrequency of Latin being used with such a richness.

An enchanted, talking pigeon, and an equally enchanted, but evil hawk right here, in CENTRAL PARK of all places...

Anne and Ken have woven a story any age will happily read and enjoy being captured in the journey very bright, with a history of magical ancestry Jennifer has been chosen to embark on. 

What a rich treasure this book is. 

For teachers, if you're looking for a story that will grab your students and become a rich core for your lesson plans, this book is a WINNER!

Therefore it is with ease, excitement, and pleasure I award this book, it's title, its CA and its gifted authors 

FIVE STARS... and and a request you hurry up and give us the NEXT Anne Rothman-Hicks and Kenneth Hicks 

winner.

Anne Rothman-Hicks and Kenneth Hicks have been married for a little over forty years and have produced about twenty books and exactly three children in that time. At press-time, they still love their children more.
Their most recent novels are set in New York City, where they have lived for most of their married lives. Anne is a graduate of Bryn Mawr College where, in 1969, as the fabled Sixties were drawing to a close, she met Ken, who was a student at Haverford College. They don’t like to admit that they met at a college mixer, but there it is!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Ladybug Lin, Your review certainly creates interest and I agree the cover and title are winners. Congratulations to Anne and Kenneth for their well deserved 5 stars and for landing here on this famous review site.

Susan Bernhardt said...

Congratulations, Anne and Ken on your 5 star review for "Things Are Not What They Seem" from Lin and Kat!

Kenneth Hicks and Anne Rothman-Hicks said...

Thanks, Lin; and thank you Susan.

And Wendy, we love the cover also.

lionmother said...

After seeing Lin's review of your new book I am very excited that both of you are going to be on my show and discussing this!! Can't wait for next month!!!

Heather said...

Great review Lin and Kat. Sounds like a book to add to my own TRL.
Heather G - The Natasha Saga